Monday 19 March 2012

Healing

I read this article on my lunch break today Lucky Bears and was struck firstly by the beautiful pictures, which remind me of my beautiful greyhound Ronnie. His eyes are very similar to the bears in the picture (my other dog has big dark eyes rather than small deep set eyes).

It's quite exciting to think of what researchers can learn from one animal and apply to another to help them.

Most of all, I wondered, would it not just be common sense to assume that after 5 months of slowing your very existence down to the bare minimum, of course all your battle wounds would heal and your body would be restored? (I realise that it's a bit more complicated than that, as bears' temperatures drop significantly etc)

When I went on my yoga holiday in October last year, our instructor talked a lot about how your body's natural rhythms slow right down over the winter, to rest and rejuvenate ready for the spring. Admittedly I haven't felt particularly springlike over the past couple of weeks, but otherwise I have spent most of winter eagerly anticipating what the new year would bring.

I have lots of things in the harp diary, things to help me grow as a harpist as well as fun things to do just for the love of playing my instrument and sharing it with others. I am loving teaching my 4 wonderful pupils, who always leave me feeling inspired and full of possibilities after our lessons.

I have booked 2 full weeks off work, one in April and one in June. The week in April should see my house well on the way to being finished off, plus giving me some time to get some proper practice (and some training!) in.

I'd love to book a proper 'getting away' holiday, but my current future plans are uncertain, there are some exciting things in the offing and until I am a bit more certain I don't want to commit myself financially to anything too big.

So while I have spent my last few months not hibernating in the bear sense, I do feel like I have had some time to take stock, heal from a difficult year, and work out what might be next for me. The original Project M is now a distant dream, but there could be a different M in place of it which is very exciting, and extremely scary. But in a good, glad to be alive way.

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful post. I like plans but I think that plans that are set in stone hold us back as much as help us to move forward. It it great that your "hibernation" has given you the strength to identify new projects and, more importantly, to be excited and happy to be alive.

    “Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared.”
    Edward Vernon Rickenbacker quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheri. I am a planner, I like to have direction and know where I am heading as I get very antsy if I don't know why I'm doing what I'm doing. I don't always follow it and I do tend to head off at a tangent at the drop of a hat, but I definitely like to have a plan!

    ReplyDelete