Thursday 19 April 2012

Extremely Relieved



Well I survived the audition!

After a reassuring practice the afternoon before, I took myself out for dinner and popped round to a new harp buddy's flat for supper. The day arrived, I managed some breakfast and had a good warm up. One of the girls at the conservatoire had texted me to ask which harp I wanted to use which was a really lovely touch, and really helped put me at ease. The harp I had used to practice on was really wonderful to play, and so I asked for this one again as it was now familiar.

To say I was incredibly nervous would be an understatement. But I got through, I played well in places and was pleased with how it went (compared to how I was afraid it might go, it was a breeze!).

I promised myself something nice to eat and drink afterwards, so after a little amble around the city centre, I found a nice little chocolate cafe in the St Enoch centre. I was feeling distinctly faint but managed to restrict myself to a large piece of Rocky Road and a pot of tea. I did this before I wandered around the rest of the shop, which was a smart move as I would have spent a LOT of money if I'd done it the other way round.


I was rather taken by the words on the side of my tea cup - advice for life indeed!



I had a little wander around some more, and then found myself in the stunning Frasers building.... wow. I love a department store, and this was one of the most beautiful I have ever been in. Don't ask me how I ended up strolling past the mens underwear (I swear it was the beautiful carving and glass!) but I happened to locate the champagne bar. It would seem that you can take the girl out of Essex but you can't take the Essex out of the girl!

Compared to down south, the prices were quite reasonable for a cocktail, and then I spotted a cocktail that ingeniously combined champagne AND gin, so I pulled up a chair and settled in. The cocktail was far too sweet, and the burger I ordered was rather too big after I'd tucked into the Rocky Road, but I was celebrating and I enjoyed every mouthful.

A massive weight has been lifted now, and I feel a lot more free again. My dogs are still in the kennels until tomorrow morning, so I am enjoying having the sofa to myself. But I have missed them terribly and I can't wait to take them for a good long stroll at the weekend.

I started working on an idea for a composition when I got in from the station tonight (long day in London for the day job) and am looking forward to getting more stuck into this now my audition is out of the way.

I have a rehearsal with my favouritest harp buddy on Saturday afternoon and can't wait to see her. Harp life is good if exhausting... mind you, check out my poor blistered right thumb! Yuk! Truly a warning to keep on top of your practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment